Punit Soni, a senior hire from Silicon Valley quit Flipkart. As always there has been a lot of speculation on him and Flipkart. But that’s not the point. Business Insider interviewed him and I find that his answers reveal a lot about Indian Entrepreneurship and Ecosystem. While I let you enjoy the details of the interview (Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/flipkart-punil-soni-explains-why-he-quit-2016-4?IR=T) here are few points worth noting:
- Indian E-Commerce is a big opportunity; the winner will have to be a large player
- Innovation in E-Commerce is behind the scenes and its tough work
- Mobile is a mindset and not a channel strategy
- Restructuring is a strategic matter
- ‘I think the Indian Media is a bit of a circus… way too much is written without substantiation’ (read the interview fully before saying anything)
- Startups and Media should focus on ‘strategy’ not ‘personality’
- MUST READ: Incident from Bay Area on Hero Worship
- Its definitely getting easier to setup a company in India, though it can get much better (Government is trying a lot)
- Valley’s big difference is its support and mentorship; this is lacking in India’s entrepreneurship ecosystem – needs a big fillip
- A Google / Apple type of Company will come out of India (Optimism in India’s entrepreneurial potential) – lets live up to it.
I know the above is like dissecting an interview, but I think we should learn to read into what is being said. This is only for learning how to improve, not to generate more ‘gossip’, there is enough of it anyway.
Lets not waste the potential of Indian Entrepreneurship
Happy Reading and Happy Entrepreneuring!